Monday, January 09, 2006

In Lieu of a Rule Violation

Here is an example of my way of dealing with inmates who don't always follow the rules. This particular inmate was caught off of his bunk at count time. This was not a body count, it was a "wrist band" count, which makes it very important that everyone is where they are supposed to be for the hour it took to count 3,300 inmates.

I could have issued a rule violation for this infraction, and depending the wording I used to describe the offense, he could have spent up to 10 days in the "hole".

I always thought outside the box. By making this inmate write this mini essay, it accomplished two things. First, he knew I would not allow this particular infraction. Second... that I didn't send him to the hole for 10 days for which he now "owed" me. Third, inmates found that I enforced the rules, but was not unfair about it. It garnered me "respect". This approach would not always work on the career inmate, however.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home